Saturday, October 8, 2011

First Week of Class.

Un. Be. Lievable.  This first week has been... intense, fun, exhausting, trying, strenuous and educational.  All in one, and I'm not even really done with the week.  I have a class in 10 minutes.  Let me see if I can fill you in to how things work.

Monday, I began at 2pm.  It was a voice class that lasted until 6pm.  4 hours of class.  Each class block as of right now has been scheduled for 4 hours at a time.  4 hours of voice, 4 hours of movement.  That is how the week has been so far.  It has been amazing.  I have made leaps in my neutral form through the voice classes.  It has opened me up and I find that my back is sore cause I have stretched my muscles so much from full breaths.  Movement class has been amazing for sure.  Mark Saunders, our head of the program, is also our movement teacher.  He trained at the Lecoq school, and is just amazing at bringing that out of me as well.  So far, beyond those kind of exercises we haven't really dug into any scripts to perform.  However, the reading has been intense as well.  An Actor's Work, The Thebans, The Cherry Orchard, One Night in Iran, 2401 Objects, The Indian Boy, Pool (No Water) is my reading assignment list.  Speaking of the Cherry Orchard.  How does 3 hour intensive looks at Stanislavski sound?  Cause those have been interesting.  Some real deep debates on the theory of acting, and all on the first night. 

It has just been amazing.  I can't believe the amount of growth possible in one week.  This coming Thursday we are having a sharing meeting where we will do monologues for each other.  I'm extremely excited to see what other people bring.  I'm going to be performing my Pillowman monologue for those interested.  In other news, with the big name change, people have been looking all over for any important alumni, sad to report there have been no sitings thus far.  Although there were some people who shared a very fun story about Prince Charles showing up out of the blue one day (not while I was here of course). 

Oh, and in closing, we have already been prepped a couple of times for our research project.  We have been told to explore possible subjects for a one on one tutorial coming soon.  I have 3 kind of subjects/ideas that I'm going to propose so far.

-Commedia del Arte. Where did it go? Where has it been present through history, and does it work now? As part of this one I'm toying with the idea of putting a commedia play together and perform it downtown in one of the squares on a weekend.

-Mormons in the theatre world.  It doesn't happen very often...

-Voice acting. I would love to do some voice acting.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! It's awesome to see what a perfect fit this is for you. It's obvious you were meant to be there/do this. Your passion for this is very evident. I'm really enjoying hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think mormons in the theatre world slash hollywood does happen, it's just that they usually stop living as such. Sounds like you're having a blast, though! I didn't know it took so much hard work to act :)

    ReplyDelete