Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chekhov, Playwrights and Alan Cumming

So, here's the deal.  The last time I wrote it was kind of a rough depressing look into Anton Chekhov and the Stanislavsky acting style.  Now that the project is over I can safely say that I am only slightly emotionally scarred from the ordeal.  Now, don't get me wrong, I think it was brilliant.  Amazing.  I deeply tapped into things that I had not thought I would.  Another one of my cohorts mentioned in his blog about the event, that performing was a layer on top of this kind of acting.  I took that description to heart.  Not only is it a layer on top of it, but it's a cop out.  It's a safety net.  It's not raw and meaty... I don't know... I might have lost the analogy on the meaty part... oh well.  My favorite part was my final scene.  In it I kind of get a "humorous" moment followed by sadness.  I was surprised at what I felt I was able to bring forward in that moment.  I had some people admit to crying because of my performance (whether because I'm good or bad is up for debate). Anyway, it was a great experience, but I am super happy it's over.

In other news, we are now working with the 3 professional playwrights.  It has been very fun.  Monday we started working with Oliver Emmanuel.  He is a super nice guy and I like his writing style.  It's very open for an actor to interpret.  On the flip side, sometimes I wish there was a bit more to actually have concretely there.  Today we have been working with Lewis Hetherington.  Now, having not worked with the final playwright yet in mind and knowing things could change, I am still really wishing that I will end up working with Lewis for our final project.  I feel like that guy is very very interested in what we as actors will be bringing over what he wants to bring, and that is very comforting in a playwright.

As a final note, I will be seeing Alan Cumming this Saturday in a lecture/performance on Scottish theatre.  He's giving a special talk on what it is to be Scottish and in theatre.  It's a ticketed performance, so kind of open to the public... but still.  I'll be seeing him live, and maybe he'll throw some love to his alma mater after the show or something.  Here's hoping.

Oh, I also had a fun assignment to write a play.  We were given specific instructions on it.  2 characters, no stage direction, and character A is trying to convince B to break a law.  I have decided to be a little selfish and share my play.

        A: There's no room for mistake.  We have one shot at this.  Let's go.  And stay quiet.

        B: I'm not sure.  This could get us in serious trouble.

        A: Calm down.  We won't get caught.  We've gone over the plan one hundred times.  Get moving.

        B: I heard something.

        A: It's your imagination.  Think of everything we'll have after this.  Let's just do it.  Alright, coast is clear.  Let's move. We're here, this is gonna be so goo.

        B: Stop.  You can't.  Mom and Dad say we can't open presents til Christmas morning.

        A: The clock says 4:13.  That's morning.  I'm doing this.

        B: But Mom and Dad will be upset.

        A: If we are quick and quiet we can rewrap the presents afterward.

        B: That's not the only reason I don't want to.

        A: What now? Santa isn't real.  You won't get in trouble with him.  Oh and while I'm telling you the truth, Scruffy died.  He's not at doggie boarding school.

        B: Wait, Scruffy's dead?

        A: Sorry chief. Now, lets see the loot.

        B: NO! No, we can't.

        A: Why?!?

        B: Because Mom and Dad are expecting surprise.  And joy.  We're robbing them of that by doing this.  Can't you see their happy faces? Smiling? Reveling in their kids receiving store bought love? Oh shoot... I hear Dad! He's coming!      You opened one of my presents too? Why?

         A:  I'm not going down alone, I'm taking you with me.

That is the end of my play.  It was played by 2 amazing actors, one of whom was a guy who's over 6 foot.  It was quite funny.  Also, this is an older play, the assignment was like a month ago, but I just decided to put it up.  Anyway, this blog is far too long.

2 comments:

  1. You're play is awesome. You are so great! I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can a play be non-fiction? This sounds suspiciously like reports of real Christmases at the Grawrocks.

    ReplyDelete